Emergency Health & Nutrition Expert
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian and development organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people in 2018.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
leading and providing technical support to the Multi sectoral Emergency teams during deployment and liaise with local authorities and stakeholders in area of deployment to ensure smooth emergency program interventions and delivery. You will work with the Head of Emergency and the Senior Nutrition Expert to conduct identification and analyses of areas where emergency response needs to be established according to needs and capacities.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Technical lead and oversee the emergency response management in deployment area through Providing technical leadership in Nutrition, Health, WaSH, FSL and Protection activities,
- Provide capacity building as well as support in the collection, analysis as well as reporting on nutrition related surveys and contribute to other research related projects
- Liaison with other departments (WASH, FSL,) in planning and executing activities to ensure effective response
- Run field operations and implementing activities in accordance with rules, policies and procedures for effective operations on HR Policy, finance, logistics functions and operational and safety procedures.
- Strengthen integration of nutrition and health services to all patients (IMCI and women, mainly) and Nutrition beneficiaries (malnourished children U5 and PLWs) as per national guidelines of community health (refer to ICCM):
- Support the identification of referral pathways (on GBV & psycho-social support) to appropriate and available psycho social support and protection services for all MET beneficiaries:
- General Support to HR Department and maintain HR policy in area of deployment, staff under direct supervision:
- Represent Action Against Hunger in area of deployment, coordinate internally with Action Against Hunger MET members and externally with stakeholders/authorities linked to project components
- Report timely to line manager activities progress reports, interim and final reports as required by programme including success stories and lesson learnt.
- You have a Bachelor degree in public health, nutrition, medical doctor, nursing or related field.
- You have a minimum 5 years of experience setting up and managing health & Nutrition programme in emergency and fragile contexts.
- You are a registered member with an appropriate professional body.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience with community based approach to malnutrition treatment (CMAM), including community mobilization and monitoring & evaluation aspects.
- You have extensive experience in project life cycle, proposal writing, Budget management, reporting and managing teams.
- You have technical expertise in Health & nutrition program, information system, monitoring and evaluation.
- You have significant experience in working and collaboration with governments and demonstrating capacity towards achievements through national institutions.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- You have good analytical and problem solving skills.
- You have experience engaging with and building capacity of partner organizations.
- You have excellent in influencing and negotiation skills.
- You are willing to travel in remote areas with basic living conditions (Easily integrate with remote areas living conditions).
Our core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values.
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity- we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
- Promote and uphold the PSEA policy and procedure.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave
- Training opportunities
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 20th November 2020.