Location: Juba, SOUTH SUDAN
Application Deadline: 09-Nov-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date:(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 16-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract: 9 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 9 months
Since independence and transition from Sudan in 2011, South Sudan has and continues to face political, institutional, social and economic challenges. The government, with support from development partners continues to strive for better development outcomes. However, disappointment in the slow progress in fulfilling the social contract between government and the general citizenry is observed culminating in crises in December 2013 and in July 2016. Even after these crises there was optimism and hope with the signing of Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) in September 2018. Prospects for government and development partners to work towards stabilizing the fragile political situation and economic downturn appeared encouraging after the Revitalized Government of National Unity (RToGNU) was formed in February 2020 . This is largely because the R-ARCSS provides opportunities to strengthen governance systems, management of public funds, optimise service delivery, and stabilise the economy. Some requirements are however critical to realize the opportunities offered by the R-ARCSS which include: Capacity building and legislative reforms of key institutions are considered key determinants of the successful implementation of the ambitious R-ARCSS backed by political will and leadership. As strong institutional and human capacities is being prioritized it became apparent that government will continue to need support from development partners to successfully implement the R-ARCSS and avert relapse into conflict.
UNDP, with support from Norway, developed a project to respond to this critical need of government for the implementation of the R-ARCSS. The “Governance & Economic Management Support (GEMS) Project” aims to contribute towards setting the country on a pathway to sustainable peace, development and improved well-being for citizens through: a) strengthening capacity of key national institutions to ensure effective and accountable implementation of the R-ARCSS; and b) bolstering key economic governance and accountability functions with attention to Chapter IV of the R-ARCSS. Support to ensure the full implementation of article 4 of the R-ARCSS furthers key economic and financial reforms for effective public resource management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Economics Advisor, the Economics Programme Specialist will:
- Support the deployment of SSEs in 12 Economic cluster MDAs; This entails:
- Preparing and finalizing ToRs for SSEs
- Support the drafting of work plans and review of SSE Reports
- Provide technical backstopping to SSEs
- Prepare a consolidated monthly SSEs report
Capacity building of civil servants in 12 Economic Cluster MDAs
- Prepare and organize a conference of SSEs and Cas
- Identify capacity needs of 12 Economic cluster MDAs
- build capacity of 254 South Sudanese civil servants
- Mentor and support the Government Cluster Leads in overseeing and coordinating the activities of relevant MDAs
- Mentor and support the Special Skills Experts assigned to the MDAs in capacity building and skills transfer to Change Agents (CAs) identified in each MDA
Assessment of Economic cluster MDAs related legal framework
- Conduct consultation workshop on legal reviews on selected legal document of the economic cluster
- Support the review and revision of 2 legal framework in 2 MDAs of the economic cluster
Prepare and organize workshops, conferences on key emerging economic management and accountability issues
- Organize sensitization workshops (2/yr) on the global standards for good governance of oil, gas and mineral resources and the EITI process
- Organize policy dialogues on current economic issues such as exchange rate policies etc
- Organize 4 annual round-table discussions on emerging economic management
- Produce expert’s knowledge product on critical economic issues as a thought leader
Identifying and Building Strategic Consensus with Collegial Partnerships:
- Establish effective networking with PMDAs and partners, seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to mandate of RTGoNU as provided in article 1.2 of R-ARCSS and with special focus on economic governance reform agenda during transition period.
- Contextualize assistance of hierarchical bureaucracy of respective ministries for fast-tracking a coordinated decision-making and directives for delivery of finance services, using efficient tools necessary for supporting capacity building of the public sector with domestic partnerships in accordance with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Innovating and Developing Good Governance Strategies, Plans and Regulations:
- Coordinate the harmonization of legislative framework, institutional policies, strategic plans, and work plans with well-studied knowledge sharing flatforms on e-governance and economic management.
- Adopt new approaches of public administration with broader range of perspectives in developing innovative proposals for meeting the contemporary standards of management of economics.
- Create conducive work environment and team spirit, which fosters innovative collective thinking through the reformed economic institution of the public sector.
Creating Impact through Sustainable Peace and Holistic Development Dividends:
- Develop leadership and administrative skills of developmental analyses of economic issues with information on potential bilateral and multilateral cooperation with counterparts to recommend strategic approach for mutual benefits and accountability.
- Compile comparative lessons learnt on human capacity development and public administration strategy of managing the public sector in accordance with inculcated fundamentals of economics with links to local government.
Promoting Institutional Training, Technical Expertise and Knowledge Sharing:
- Prioritize continuous training, coaching and mentoring of senior public servants with efficient use of contemporary computerized tools and standardized mechanisms of economic.
- Enhance efficient drafting, effective planning, presentation and report-writing skills with strong analytical and strategic resilience in advanced professional specialization economic services.
- Demonstrate comprehensive skilful knowledge and competence in information technology and strategic communication on economic matters with efficiency and accountability.
- Promotes the mission, vision and strategic goals of Economic cluster ministries
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment and understands the structure and hierarchy of government ministries of the economic cluster.
Working in Teams:
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in relevant government ministries as well as its partners and other stakeholders to pursue common goals.
Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Delivers verbal/written information in a timely, clear, organized and easily understood manner;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to listen and take direction and leadership from others.
Self-Management & Emotional Intelligence:
- Creating synergies through self-control, tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in economics, financial economics, development economics, finance, commerce, business administration & management, public administration/policy or first-level university degree combined with relevant specialized professional experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional working experience in relevant fields related to economic sector is required;
- A minimum of 5 years working in public sector with particular focus on economic sector is required;
- A minimum of 2 years working in knowledge management within an international organization is required;
- Proven experience organizing and managing events and workshops is desirable;
- Knowledge of the UN system is desirable;
- Proven ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, and to deliver in a timely manner within cost and quality standards;
- Proficiency and proven experience in the use of Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point) is required. Proven experience in the development infographics, online surveys, presentations, organization of webinars would be an asset;
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate information collection and monitor own work plan;
- Ability to work, establish and maintain strategic partnerships with government institutions, donors, civil society partners and other UN agencies.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
The application package containing the following:
- A cover letter with a brief description of why the Offer considers her/himself the most suitable for the assignment;
- Personal CV, indicating all experience from similar projects and specifying the relevant assignment period (from/to), as well as the email and telephone contacts of at least three (3) professional references;
- Two pages to describe the methodology to respond to the TOR (understanding of the project requirements.
Shortlisted candidates (ONLY) will be requested to submit a Financial Proposal.
- The financial proposal should specify an all-inclusive daily fee (based on a 7-hours working day – lunch time is not included – and estimated 21.75 days per month).
- The financial proposal must be all-inclusive and consider various expenses that will be incurred during the contract.
- In the case of unforeseeable travel requested by UNDP, payment of travel costs including tickets, lodging and terminal expenses should be agreed upon, between UNDP and Individual Consultant, prior to travel and will be reimbursed.
The Financial Proposal is to be emailed as per the instruction in the separate email that will be sent to shortlisted candidates.