Director Country Office
Director Country Office
Juba, South Sudan
April – May 2021
Travels outside duty satiation
DRS is looking for a Director Country Office on behalf of an international organization working in the field of poverty and exclusion reduction. The NGO does this in the world’s most fragile and conflict-affected areas. They engage communities to rebuild trust and resilience and increase people’s self-reliance. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, the NGO connects people and communities.
Position & responsibility:
The Director Country Office is the line manager for all senior management staff of the NGO South Sudan office.
General objective and responsibility of the job:
· Is responsible for realization of Country Office targets;
· The Management of the NGO office in Juba;
· The Management of the NGO programme in South Sudan;
· Networking, representation and acquisition.
• Country Plan:
Monitors the progress and interdependencies of different projects from different programme units, taking into account the developments in the country/regions, and proposes improvements in the chosen strategy.
• Cooperation benefits:
Creates partnerships between governmental institutions, donors, partner organisations and (inter)national non-governmental organisations, taking into account the agreed programme results.
Interacts with (potential) local/institutional donors, convincingly augmenting the added value of the NGO as to acquire funds and ensure the future funding for the programme(s) in the designated country/region.
• Business/Action plan:
Translates the agreed Country Plan into a Work Plan for the Country Office, with specific results in designated project areas while securing the connection with the NGO strategy.
• Programme Management:
Keeps track of developments within the projects, manages the activities within the team and makes the necessary adjustments, taking into account the business/action plan, governmental policies, donor policies and the allocation of resources and preventing mission creep.
• Risk Management:
Assesses security, political, administrative and financial risks in projects and realises the security of the NGO team, consultants and NGO visitors, according to the NGO Safety First Manual.
• Personnel Management:
Leads personnel in accordance with the management style and social policy of the NGO, focused on productivity, employee development and satisfaction. Ensures efficient use of resources and controls quality of work.
· Academic degree in international law, agriculture, health, economy, business/public administration, social sciences or other subject related to international cooperation;
· Excellent management skills including human resource and financial management, communication and intercultural cooperation skills;
· At least 5 years (recent) experience in a similar position (Country Director, Country Representative, Chief of Party) for an INGO;
· At least 5 years’ experience in managing and monitoring development and/or humanitarian programmes, preferably in sectors such as: health, resilience, social justice, and also funded by EC or WB;
· Proven experience in managing multimillion programmes in difficult/insecure/complex settings.
· Proven ability to run an office and manage large teams in a fragile environment.
· Experience in reporting requirements of institutional donors and working with local NGOs;
· Experience in security management and implementing security policies in insecure areas;
· A human centred approach to management and ability to promote and structure teamwork.;
· A networker;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English language;
· Diplomatic and goal-driven;
· Analytical and problem-solving mind;
· Flexible and capable of working in a stressful and fragile context.
Specifics of station:
For the time being, this is a non-accompanied posting.
The contract period is for 12 months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month and hardship allowance.
An assessment might be part of the procedure.
Foreseen start date:
How to apply
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to email@example.com DRS ref. number 10961. Due to the high number of applications, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to the client’s procedures.