Deputy Chief of Party
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
POSITION TITLE: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
POSITION LOCATION: Juba, South Sudan
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
Winrock is seeking a professional to serve as Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in South Sudan. The DCOP will manage technical activities and staff, reporting to the Chief of Party.
The USAID-funded Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture in South Sudan project will build off USAID’s past investments in the agricultural sector, increasing the amount, variety, and quality of nutritious food bought and sold at local markets. It also aims to create more jobs on farms and at markets and promote healthy eating and feeding behaviors for families. The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide leadership to the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for interventions to improve agriculture market systems that are inclusive and increase community resilience to shocks.
- Facilitate joint activity design and planning, coordinated implementation, and learning between productivity, livelihoods, marketing and nutrition teams.
- Identify and manage partnerships with private sector, local government and complementary donor programs that contribute both sustainable and inclusive benefits to smallholder farmers.
- Provide thought leadership to government counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing strategies to increasing farmers’ resilience to shocks.
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing multi-sectoral agriculture system strategies for increasing food production and diversifying incomes.
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Contribute to knowledge management within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets;
- Advanced degree in agriculture economics, business, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience in donor-funded project management in the field of agricultural development and resilience, preferably for USAID
- Experience in agriculture, food security, livelihood diversification, and/or market access.
- Experience managing technical teams for multi-sectoral agriculture system development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management.
- Experience developing partnerships with and supporting private sector actors.
- Experience with development of government counterparts and ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with senior officials;
- Demonstrated competence in negotiation and communication;
- Fluency in English, fluency in Arabic preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Financial management skills and experience;
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft).
All interested candidates shall submit their applications (maximum 5 pages including resume, two references and one-page cover letter) in English via this careers page. The deadline for submission of applications is December 30, 2020. Qualified applicants will be contacted by Winrock.