COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Coordinator
Role & Responsibilities
Provide support to Medair South Sudan as a focal point on activities related to COVID-19 preparedness. The COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Coordinator will primarily act as focal point for COVID-19 preparedness for Medair – internally and externally. the COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Coordinator will attend relevant meetings at national and/or field level, collect Medair feedback and provide input and guidance on national guidelines; ensure good coordination between the different Medair staff and teams involved in COVID-19 preparedness activities; provide strategic direction, in collaboration with the Country Director, Deputy Country Directors and in-country and global Health and WASH Advisors, on Medair’s engagement in COVID-19 preparedness activities; coordinate and implement COVID-19 preparedness activities and help coordinate responses through health programming in static project sites; finally, he/she will support Emergency Response Team interventions specific to COVID-19 response.
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan, in Renk, Aweil, Leer and through a dedicated Emergency Response Team (ERT). Medair’s ERT undertakes emergency health, nutrition, WASH, Shelter & Non Food Items (NFI) responses across any area in South Sudan, with an overall objective to reduce morbidity and mortality of vulnerable populations in South Sudan. Outbreak preparedness and multisectoral response, including for COVID-19, is part of the mandate of the emergency response team. Health interventions in Renk, Aweil, and Leer are also preparing their staff and facilities should their areas have confirmed cases. Medair is actively engaging with the national COVID-19 preparedness mechanisms, and the ERT plans to implement COVID-19 preparedness and response activities.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba and field sites, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and proactively engage in COVID-19 preparedness coordination meetings and working groups at national and, field level. Provide summary notes off all external meetings for relevant internal stakeholders.
- In coordination with Advisors, develop and deliver training on COVID-19 preparedness to Medair staff.
- Proactively network with clusters and health and WASH agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Review and update relevant Project Coordination Agreements, and Memoranda of Understanding.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the project teams including ERT, in-country Advisors, the senior management team, and other support teams (Logistics, Human Resources, Finance, Base).
- Provide updates during various meetings such as advisor’s and management, or any other ad hoc meetings.
- In coordination with the Country Staff Health Focal Point, assess the need for and contribute towards the design and implementation of in-country COVID-19-related staff health protocols and procedures.
- Manage COVID-19 preparedness activities, alongside the relevant field PM and PC, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- React quickly to crisis and organise +/- implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a COVID-19 preparedness and response strategy.
- Continuously monitor and supervise COVID-19 preparedness and response activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact. Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Participate in the development of interventions and new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Reach out to other actors to find those who can respond to needs which go beyond resources of Medair.
- Work with the PM to ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted.
- Support the logistics activities of health and WASH staff, in relation to the purchasing of medicines, COVID-19 related supplies, etc. Liaise with the health, WASH and logistics staff to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
- Support the Base Manager in ensuring proper social distancing and other preparedness measures are implemented at the WJ base.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines, in conjunction with in-country Advisors.
- Contribute towards setting objectives of emergency COVID-19-related health/WASH assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future plans and changes.
- Improve the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Train relevant staff on various aspects of COVID-19 preparedness, IPC, etc., in line with established SOPs.
- Compile and manage, and make available, relevant information related to COVID-19 for staff access.
- Support development of Medair- (tailored) training curriculum, PowerPoint slides, IEC materials etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/ Development Studies/ Business Administration.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree or WASH degree is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 1 year humanitarian management experience, including field level public health response. Preferably, experience training and supervising teams and participating in national level coordination.
- Good communications skills, ability to communicate ideas clearly such as in guidelines and job aids.
- Ability to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks and to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate. Committed to consultative leadership.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Experience in training/ mentoring/ coaching staff.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, and The Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (CHS).
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).