Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organization based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments. Amref Health Africa’s vision is for lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. For more on Amref Health Africa please visit www.amref.org
Amref Health Africa is recruiting a Country Director, in South Sudan to provide leadership and strategic direction to the country programme. The incumbent will be in charge of country performance and programme growth; S/he will ensure that adequate monitoring, evaluation and accountability mechanism are in place.
This is a key position and part of Amref Health Africa senior management team, reporting to the Group Programmes Director with a critical role to play in the accomplishment of Amref Health Africa’s mission and strategy. This is an internationally recruited position attracting a competitive salary and attractive package of benefits.
Personnel Reporting to the job holder
- Head of Programmes
- Finance Manager
- Human Resources Business Partner (Administration)
- Monitoring , Evaluation and Learning Manager
- Security Officer
- Executive Assistant
Purpose of the Job:
The Country Director strategically leads the country program operations to achieve the organization’s vision. The role ensures good quality grant acquisition and management; and that programmes are adapted to the country context. This role sits in a unique environment that is characterized by a fragile social – political context.
- Provide leadership for country programme and staff;
- Lead the dissemination of Amref Health Africa’s vision, mission and values at the country level;
- Ensure that the country SMT functions as a strong and mutually supporting leadership team;
- Lead, support, develop and mentor country staff to deliver high quality programmes and projects;
- Facilitate and support the Country Board of Management, provide relevant levels of information to enable the Board of Management to optimize their support to the Country programme;
- Participate as member of Amref Health Africa senior management team (SMT) with responsibility to represent the country programme at the SMT and to support collective SMT decisions back into the country programme; and
- Lead the process of organizational strengthening within the country programme.
- Lead in-country identification of strategic areas of focus, development and implementation of the country strategic plan, ensuring alignment with the Amref Health Africa global strategic plan;
- Lead in country staffing guided by appropriate organizational design to meet the program objectives;
Programme Development and Implementation
- Directing and managing the country programme to deliver Amref Health Africa and country specific strategic objectives in line with the corporate strategy; and
- Encouraging interactions and collaboration with other Country Programmes, HQ Directorates and Programme Leaders, and support participation of country programme project staff in regional projects where appropriate.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- In collaboration with the monitoring and evaluation function at Headquarters ensure that adequate monitoring, evaluation and accountability mechanisms are in place and are implemented effectively within the country office.
Budgets, Work plans and Risk Management
- In collaboration with the country team, ensure the efficient and effective preparation of country programme yearly work plans, budgets and prudent management of the organization’s resources within budget guidelines; and
- Ensure timely narrative and financial reporting to donors in accordance with grant agreements.
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Spearhead project fund raising from traditional and non-traditional donors and for local fund raising campaigns;
- Contribute to resource mobilization through proposal development, negotiation and advocacy on identified priority areas;
- Work with Corporate Headquarters, liaise with European and North American Offices to build awareness of the country programme needs, of country programme priorities and for project funding; and
- Develop networks, partnerships and liaisons with national/regional/international institutions working in the country of operations and spearhead donor collaboration and programme/project development at country level.
- Lead in the development and execution of Country-specific Resources mobilization strategy that includes identification of new donors and donor cultivation plans;
- Promote country programme and financial growth;
- Lead in diversifying sources of funding including establishment of social enterprise initiatives, and other means for increasing organizational revenues including consultancy unit, training and the like;
- Lead teams and endorse/approve decisions for funding proposals to go for and those not to
Security and Risk Management:
- Lead in partnership with Amref Global Security manager in all aspects of security assessment, monitoring, reporting and ensuring safety of staff and assets;
- Analyse, mitigate, and manage risks within country’s programme portfolio.
- Ensure that reports from the country programme are generated and disseminated; and
- Ensure that the knowledge gained from the country programme is documented and shared with the other Country Programmes and Headquarters, and with external partners and users, and that Country Programme staff participate in the organization’s activities.
Country Programme Visibility & Advocacy
- Represent Amref Health Africa at country level and management of host country relations;
- Ensure that the country programme adheres to National laws and regulations governing the functions carried out by Amref Health Africa in South Sudan
- Lead and manage Amref Health Africa engagements in various partnership relations with external agencies including the Government, Corporates, Donor organizations, alliances/coalitions, CSOs, implementing partners and the like;
- Update stakeholders, partners and donors of various achievements and upcoming priorities using stakeholders’ forums, newspapers and face-to-face meetings (formal and informal);
- Manage relationship challenges as they emerge or when anticipated while protecting Amref Health Africa’s image to the best ability;
- Promote Amref Health Africa’s mission, vision, core values and identity to the Public, Government, Development partners, Corporate, CSOs, funding agencies and other stakeholders;
- Continually ensure optimal customer service;
- Actively and regularly engage in relevant national dialogues that are aligned to Amref Health Africa’s strategic vision;
- Promote Amref Health Africa’s engagement in scientific forums national and internationally;
- Support teams in organizing various events with local, national and international reach;
- Identify and drive advocacy issues as aligned to the strategy.
Policies and standards
- Together with the Finance/Administration, HR, ICT, Communications and Fund Raising functions at Headquarters, ensuring that the country programme implements appropriate policies, procedures, operational guidelines and standards within the Amref Health Africa framework.
- Ensure compliance with organization policies and procedures and proactively manage organizational risks;
- Guide operational teams and other cross-cutting functions in maximizing internal cost recoveries to be gained from products/items they deliver as well as from man-hours one extends to various requests;
- Inspire, mentor, coach and guide staff to demonstrate self-leadership in their assigned roles;
- Promote setting operating standards for individual units in execution of high-quality programmes and operations (support functions);
- · Lead and insist on compliance and ethics across the organization in line with Amref Health Africa policies, procedures and guidelines taking necessary actions when not adhered to or violated ;
- · Lead and chair disciplinary committees as need arise;
- Study existing systems/processes and identify possible risks in areas of compliance, statutory and grants audits as well as proposing risk mitigation plans;
- In Collaboration with the country team, prepare and submit Country quarterly, semi-annual and annual programme implementation reports based on agreed priority areas, work plans and budgets
Academic Qualification and Knowledge
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology or related field from a recognized university;**
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Medicine, Public Health or related field;**
- Knowledge of the South Sudan government’s national health policies, the South Sudan health care system, and the health-related programs of other donors.
Professional Qualifications/Membership to professional bodies
- Relevant professional qualification;
- Member of a relevant professional body.
Experience and Skills
- Over fifteen (15) years’ relevant experience with over eight (8) years in management, two (2) of which should be at senior management level in a similar organization.
- Experience in resource challenged environments.
- An excellent understanding of the development sector and experience of programme management in fragile states is required.
- Understands programme and project management
- Broad knowledge of the Amref Health Africa programmes and strategic focus
- Strategic and innovative with ability to sell the vision of the organization.
- Ability to develop long term integrated and cross functional operational plans.
- Strong leadership skills, executive disposition, and demonstrate high levels of integrity.
How to apply
Please send an updated CV and cover letter as one document, addressed to the Human Resources Business Partner, Amref Health Africa in South Sudan & Uganda through firstname.lastname@example.org Emails should not exceed 2MB. The closing date for submitting applications is October 23, 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.**
Amref Health Africa is committed to the principles of safeguarding at the workplace and does not tolerate any form of abuse, discrimination or harassment.