Provide strategic leadership and representation for MAG in country and maintain robust oversight of the programme to ensure quality delivery of MAG’s activities.
Accountable to MAG HQ for the delivery, effective management, monitoring and evaluation of MAG’s activities in the country programme.
Ensure the effective integration of strategic, programmatic and operational management to maintain the relevance, quality and consistency of all activities in country
- Take the lead to ensure that relevant policies and procedures are in place to enable the development, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of activities undertaken by the programme.
- Lead the programme Senior Management Team in developing annual business plans and monitoring progress against these.
- Work as part of MAG’s Global Leadership Team (GLT) to maintain standards, advocate MAG’s values and ensure efficient and effective delivery of the global strategy.
- Ensure that robust policies and procedures are in place to ensure effective financial management of the programme.
- Maintain strategic oversight and control of the programme budget, ensuring efficient use of MAG resources, maximizing contractual and financial returns
- Maintain oversight of all fiscal activities to ensure donor compliance, value for money and appropriateness of expenditure in line with MAG policies and practice.
- Support the planning, development and overall management of project budgets, in collaboration with relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
Compliance and Risk
- Maintain a proactive approach to risk management, ensuring compliance with contractual requirements, statutory legislation, best practice and MAG policies to limit liabilities and maximise programme efficiency.
- Ensure all activities are completed in line with statutory, donor/client requirements and contracted agreements.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with MAG, donor, country and international standards, rules and regulations.
- Maintain corporate oversight of all contracted activities including the provision of fit for purpose progress reports to key stakeholders, incorporating variance analysis, corrective action points, etc
- Oversee the contractual relationship with sub-contractors and partners to MAG, ensuring all activities are delivered in line with the Head Contract
- Provide effective representation for MAG to donors, national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders in the country and region to ensure that MAG’s mission, values and specific project objectives are clearly understood and supported.
Donor Liaison and Business Development
- Build effective relationships and develop networks with all stakeholders including local and regional authorities, donors, partners and commercial and UXO operators.
- Proactively identify and pursue business development opportunities to maximize MAG’s impact in country and ensure the programme’s continuity and stability.
- Oversee the production of all proposals and operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
Security & Asset Management
- Maintain oversight of programme health, safety and security plans, policies and controls to ensure the safety and security of MAG staff, assets and resources.
- Leads the Incident Management Team. HR
- Build, manage and motivate a multidisciplinary team that enables MAG’s objectives to be carried out effectively in the country programme.
- Ensure that HR policies and procedures are applied to ensure high performance and adherence to MAG’s standards and values.
- Line manage and foster a positive and productive working relationship with the Technical Operations Manager (TOM) to ensure close collaboration on the effective integration of all strategic and operational activities in the country programme.
- Provide leadership, advice and support to the country team.
- Experience of working overseas at senior management level in an international context
- Experience of strategically managing and directing large scale projects including, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation, risk assessment and mitigation and contract compliance.
- Strong people management experience with proven ability to lead and manage a multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, often remotely
- Proven expertise in the development of new business, including programme design and development, networking and contract negotiations
- Experience of having developed successful relationships and negotiated with donors, government bodies, other NGOs and local partners
- Experience of managing finance, administrative and human resource systems to ensure project efficiency.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Effective financial management skills, including demonstrated experience of ensuring robust financial management across a multiple grant portfolio and effective oversight of budgets
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Strong writing skills to be able to write strategy, proposals, business plans, budgets and reports
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant institutional donors e.g. EU, UN, government departments
- Strong representation, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple activities
- Innovative, creative and proactive with an analytical and solution-focussed approach to work
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions with limited supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Ability to represent and promote MAG at the highest level
- Commitment to MAG’s strategic direction and core values
- Awareness of and understanding of humanitarian mine action approaches
- Knowledge of relevant languages
- Advanced university degree in relevant field (for example, international development, international relations, economics, politics)