This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
27 Dec 2020
Community Education Initiatives Manager, Wau
Democracy International (DI) is seeking a Community Education Initiatives Manager. Under the USAID funded Education for Peace, Recovery, and Resilience (EPRR) program in South Sudan, the Community Education Initiatives Manager will serve as the lead in implementing Democracy International (DI) led activities in Wau and will oversee and coordinate community based education activities with local CSOs at the CECs, schools and other locations within the community. He/She will serve as an expert in the areas of community engagement, mobilization and education programming and will work with various stakeholders to conduct activities related to youth learning, will support the integration of peacebuilding and psychosocial support into education advocacy and child protection activities. More specifically, he/she will facilitate workshops on the above topics with civil society representatives, teachers, parents, students, and other community members, link CSOs with expertise in peacebuilding and PSS with teachers and oversee youth peace clubs and mentoring clubs to foster positive opportunities within target regions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Be knowledgeable of education and community awareness events, programs and activities in the state. Must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with local community leaders, CSOs, PTAs, teachers, local government officials and community members;
- Coordinate community awareness events at the CECs and other locations with CSOs, experts, teachers, parents, community members and other key stakeholders;
- Facilitate workshops and new activities focused on community awareness on issues such as SGBV within schools and communities and child protection;
- Identify and facilitate community and/or national radio content focused on education awareness with local CSO partners
- Lead the development of youth peace clubs at the CECs, providing guidance and capacity building to a community volunteer who will oversee peace club activities;
- Actively participate in civil society networks, clusters, and other local mechanisms that promote education in the state;
- Coordinate events on school based peace building, community awareness, sensitization, engagement on education governance and mobilizing campaigns for women PTA members, with local CSO partners;
- Responsible for regularly gathering and sharing PSS-referral pathways information with EPRR partners;
- Mobilize community members, teachers, parents, PTA members, and other key stakeholders for events at the CECs and within the community
- Must be a South Sudanese National
- Extensive experience working in Wau with strong ties to the local community
- Must have at least a bachelors level degree
- Must have at least 5 years of relevant experience in community outreach and engagement
- Experience with donor-funded programs, preferable
- A strong communicator, able to build relationships, network and form connections with local stakeholders
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (http://democracyinternational.com/) provides technical assistance, analytical services and project implementation for democracy, human rights, governance and conflict mitigation programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.