Purpose of the job
Reporting to the JAM South Sudan Program Manager, with technical link to the JAM International Communications Manager, the Communication Specialist (CS) will champion promotion of JAM’s brand to internal and external stakeholders through development of high-quality communication products, provision of training and facilitation of knowledge management in the JAM South Sudan program. The CS will keep abreast with relevant technological advancements – digital communications, photography (for its role in shaping perceptions) and a growing emphasis on images, infographics and data visualizations in development communication. The expected outcome is that the audiences and supporters are effectively influenced to support our core development and humanitarian efforts through the creative and strategic use of both traditional and new media within the areas that we operate
Key performance Indicators
- The CS will support the development of JAM South Sudan Communications Strategy and Plans of promoting brand visibility and reputation of JAM as a thought leader, and align with the greater global JAM Communications strategy
- Lead in the integration of communications in project planning and implementation and build communications capacity by delivering training and advice to JAM staff, partners and communities on documentation and communications skills, as well as basic media training.
- In collaboration with the budget holders, consolidate communications budgets and work plans, and provide guidance on proper corporate and donor branding in line with JAM’s brand standards and donor guidelines.
- Work with technical managers, program staff in the field and other partners to develop high quality information and collateral such as: stories, photos, videos, newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, donor reports and annual reports. Will also coordinate organizational events and launches for projects, PR activities and donor visits.
- Develop and/or review terms of reference and service contracts, manage and ensure quality deliverables from communications service providers.
- Initiate and sustain good relationships with local media houses and freelance media practitioners to leverage their services in delivering JAM’s communications strategy and plans.
- Exploit new ways to get promotional messages across to a wide range of audiences using social media, online platforms and mobile technology.
- Support JAM’s internal communications and knowledge management systems by working closely with HR to increase staff understanding of JAM’s vision and mission, and capture and share learning through a variety of channels such as newsletters, videos, talks, calendars etc.
- Provide advice to SMT on corporate and crisis communications, including crafting relevant messages, suggesting remedial measures and the use of the right media.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field.
· Over 5 years’ professional experience delivering communications strategies, managing internal communications and building capacity and creating networks for internationally funded programmes.
· Analytical mind with capacity to breakdown complex technical concepts into easily understood information. Must have good written and verbal communication skills, with proven experience in producing written content for donor/sponsor engagement, risk communication, public advocacy and media relations purposes.
· Proficiency in using Microsoft applications; basic photography and videography skills; and knowledge on using Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, In Design, Premiere Pro and Illustrator). Creative, artistic – experience in graphic design or creating infographics and data visualization would be an added advantage.
· Demonstrated experience in coordinating with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams working on several major activities simultaneously to deliver quality work on tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
· Strong understanding of the humanitarian sector and operations in fragile and challenging contexts, NGO experience is essential.
· Flexibility and willingness to undertake a wide variety of non-routine tasks and assignments, including travel within South Sudan at short notice.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
How to apply
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their application letters and CV indicating three referees via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Address your application to the Human Resource and Administration Manager.