Chief of Section, Supply Chain Management
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Supply Chain Management Section of the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA). The incumbent will report directly to the Chief of Mission Support.
Within delegated authority, the Chief Supply Chain Management is responsible for the following functions:
– Participates in the mission planning process throughout the mission lifecycle, with particular attention to supply chain areas and contributes to an integrated approach and consistency in the implementation and operationalization of the integrated supply chain within the mission.
– Initiates the development and implementation of the supply chain work plan, including supply chain forecasts, priorities and anticipated requirements.
– Implements policies and procedures to facilitate achieving work plan goals.
– Ensures coordination and monitoring of overall strategies and programmes for the supply chain activities of the mission and takes the lead in consolidating the required human and financial resources for the service.
– Rapidly redirects the work plan to accommodate and support major operational changes in the mission.
– Develops and implements a service optimization programme to promote continuous improvement in the quality and delivery of supply chain activities to mission clients. This includes a regular review of critical and key supply chain processes to identify and resolve bottlenecks, delays and inefficiencies. Further this also includes the establishment of relevant strategic supply chain performance indicators which provide data and analysis for the review of senior management.
– Ensures that all processes and systems in place are relevant and cost effective. Ensures, through collaboration with all stakeholders, the implementation of the end-to-end supply chain programme.
– Exercises managerial and supervisory control over all logistics, technical and operational support services.
– Manages and coordinates all multifunctional support services requirements between the UN Headquarters, Mission components and other UN and non-UN entities to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the support services. Implements UNHQ policy and develops mission procedures to ensure support services satisfy UN regulations and rules.
– Establishes priorities and sets management performance goals for staff. Recommends and coordinates training programs for supply chain staff. Actively engages in management performance duties and ensures the provision of management, guidance, development, training, constructive feedback, performance evaluation and appraisal, and provision of administrative support and other management functions to staff in the areas of his/her responsibility.
– Ensures good order and discipline of staff under his/her overall supervision. Develops initiatives to promote the welfare and well-being of supply chain staff.
Budget and Finance:
– Ensures that the services and supply chain budget, human resources, and assets are optimally budgeted and allocated to support effective and cost efficient support services across all mission components and provide advice to any reprioritization of resources during the budget period, in line with priorities that support effective mandate implementation.
– Establishes a set of robust policies, procedures, practices, standards and tools for the management of the supply chain that is consistent with UN regulations, rules, policies and practices in order to ensure proper budget, accounting, procurement, financial, assets and human resources management and control of supply chain expenditures.
– Chairs or is member of field mission administrative and financial bodies.
– Assumes responsibilities of a Certifying Officer for the mission supply chain budget.
– Provides strategic advice to the CMS on the necessary managerial, logistical and administrative support required to fully implement integrated supply chain outputs.
– Maintains active communication with UN headquarters and the global and regional service centres supporting the mission in relation to supply chain management activities.
– Actively engages with civilian, police and military components within the mission to ensure coordinated, high quality supply chain support in accordance with their operational requirements.
– Provides effective management of human, financial and material resources of the supply chain.
– Liaises, negotiates and coordinates with national authorities with respect to supply chain matters.
– Provides guidance, support and supervision to senior administrative and logistics support staff within the supply chain and service delivery pillars as well as audit and evaluation services, as appropriate.
– Carries out other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of the substantive field of work in the areas of Supply Chain Management. Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Ability to apply discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve complex and/or sensitive issues. Knowledge of Supply Chain operations, procedures and practices. Knowledge of project management. Ability to develop and apply Supply Chain Management procedures and programmes. Ability to provide professional technical advice in a broad range of Supply Chain Management areas. Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines related to Supply Chain Management. Excellent negotiating and leadership skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with
organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
PLANNING & ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement, does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands; Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in supply chain management, business administration/management, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Supply Chain Professional (SCOR-P) certification is desirable. Certification in PRINCE2 or equivalent project management methodologies is desirable.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in any of the following supply chain management areas is required: demand/acquisition planning, procurement, supply chain planning, logistics, warehousing, asset and inventory management, passenger and cargo transportation, programme/project management or contract management.
At least 4 years of management experience in the area of supply chain management, is required.
At least 2 years experience in managing supply chain operations in an international environment, is required.
Experience in change management, is desirable.
Experience in planning, deployment or sustaining field operations, is desirable.
Experience in managing highly complex supply chain management operations in a conflict or post-conflict environment with scarcity of resources, is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency (oral and written) in English is required.
Previously rostered candidates are not subject to any further assessment and as such, will not be invited for such an assessment.
This “Recruit from Roster” job opening is only open to roster applicants who are already placed on pre-approved rosters, following a review by a United Nations Central Review Body. Only roster applicants who were placed on rosters with similar functions at the same level are considered to be eligible candidates. Eligible applicants receive an email inviting them to apply. Rostered applicants are encouraged to apply only if they are interested and available to take up the position at the duty station/s specified in the Job Opening. Applying to this job opening carries an expectation to accept the offer, if selected.
- Posted by: Main Office
- Company: United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA)
- Location: Anywhere
- State: South Sudan
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Procurement and Logistics
- Tags: No Tags
235 total views, 1 today