Chief of Party – South Sudan ICRA
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming USAID/South Sudan Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture (ICRA) Activity. The goal of this project is to establish a multi-sectoral agriculture system that emphasizes functioning agriculture markets, food productivity, livestock farming, community capacity building, rural livelihoods, better nutrition – all of which will increase farming communities’ resilience in the face of shocks. South Sudan is facing threats to food security and malnutrition, which has been exacerbated in the advent of COVID-19. Prior to COVID-19, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) has projected an estimated 6.5 million out of 11.7 million people were expected to face worse levels of acute food insecurity. Efforts to increase resilience to help the country better respond to multiple crises and threats, including conflict, economic decline, natural disasters, plant pests, human and animal diseases remain critical.
Under the supervisor of the US-based Portfolio Manager, the COP will be responsible for setting and leading the activity’s overall strategic direction and overall program implementation. The COP will represent Abt to promote and facilitate close coordination with all stakeholders and inter-agency partners working closely with other USAID and international partners.
The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan, and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction, long-term programmatic vision, and technical leadership to produce activity results.
- Serve as the activity’s key liaison with USAID and other development partners.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with USAID and local counterparts to ensure effective coordination of activities with relevant ministries; civil society, private sector, and development partners, other USAID and U.S. government-funded initiatives, and others stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and technical support for activity staff and subcontractors to ensure a focus on results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Implement learning approaches to establish a culture of adaptive management that responds to contextual shifts by adapting decision making, resource allocation, and implementation approaches/strategies as necessary.
- Manage country-level project operations and assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables.
- Serve as lead technical advisor providing guidance and oversight to technical staff as needed.
- Oversee the country office and supervise a multi-disciplinary team of experts.
- Manage the project budget and ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports.
- Create management systems in line with Abt’s standard operating procedures, consistent with the needs of the activity.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team and ensures strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations, and internal controls.
- Master’s degree in international development, livestock, agriculture, economics, food security, nutrition, community development, public health, economics, or related field.
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience implementing multisector international development programs focusing on one or several of the following technical sectors: community resilience and development, agriculture, food security, public health, and/or nutrition.
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role for a multi-sectoral international development program.
- Demonstrated management, leadership, political acumen, and related skills.
- Demonstrated success managing complex donor programs is desired, previous USAID experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in a country with strong security measures required highly preferred.
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with host country governments and international agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
- South Sudan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.