Assistant Logistics Officer
Logistics and Supply Chain
Job Opening Number
21-Logistics and Supply Chain-UNMISS-147505-R- (N)
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Juba. The Assistant Logistics Officer reports to the Logistics Officer in charge of Current Operations, in the Mission Support Centre.
Provides logistics support to ongoing air, land, sea, or rail operations in the area.
- Identifies, mobilizes resources, implements and reports on special logistics operations;
- Drafts and coordinates logistics reports, plans and other documents supporting the implementation of logistics operations, as directed by Head of Unit or Section Chief;
- Drafts and coordinates inputs to logistics reports, presentations, briefing notes, and other information documents required by the management;
- Liaises and coordinates logistics support with other units within the Mission Support Division, such as transportation, communications, movement control and procurement;
- Liaises and coordinates logistics support with other mission components, such as military, police, security and substantive offices;
- Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of progressively responsible experience in land or air transport, logistics operations in military, commercial or international organizations, supply chain management or related area is required. Master’s degree in lieu of two years experience is accepted.
- Experience in project management and drafting reports to stakeholders on related ongoing project, is required.
- Experience in managing information analysis and management system is desirable.
At least two years of progressively responsible experience in land or air transport, logistics operations in military, commercial or international organizations, supply chain management or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.