NRC in South Sudan is looking for an Area Manager to be based in Alek, Northern Bahr El Ghazal state. The Area Manager is a leadership position at NRC, and has the overall responsibility for their designated area. The Area Manager ensures that a high quality and cost effective programme develops in line with NRC’s mandate, policies and country specific strategies.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leadership and line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area, and ensuring capacity building is provided to all staff in the area.
- Responsible for conflict-sensitive, emergency, development and integrated programming
- Development of Area level strategy, and provide area specific input on thematic strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Ensue beneficiaries led design and implementation of projects and activities including beneficiary complaints mechanism are strengthened
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- In liaison with the Programme Development unit ensure that systems for monitoring and evaluating project activities are developed and implemented
- Ensure that NRC’s finance procedures, guidelines and systems are properly implemented and are respected
- Ensure ongoing check and review mechanism in place for the control and stock system of goods, vehicles and transport coordination and make any necessary improvements
- Oversee and coordinate administrative and logistical requests made by the projects for optimal cost efficiency and utilization of resources
- Represent NRC and network on area level; develop relationships with donor teams and agencies in the area, and contribute to securing sufficient finances for the programme
- Coordinate with UN agencies, other (I)NGOs, local and state authorities, the targeted beneficiaries and donors and ensure maximum collaboration and cooperation with all key stakeholders
- Remain updated on all relevant political and Government policy issues related to the country operation in general and the area in particular
- Leads and manages staff training initiatives, structured and targeted capacity building efforts and increased nationalization opportunities within NRC.
- Guided by guidelines and direction of NRC selection, capacity building and close monitoring of the Implementing Partners and ensure compliance
- Take lead in exploring funding opportunities for the Area Office
- Minimum first level university degree/bachelor’s degree in Project Management, or other relevant and related field.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager, or as an Area Manager, with experience managing multiple projects, and accountability in a recovery context
- Previous experience managing budgets.
- Experience from working in complex contexts
- Experience of operations management: Finance, Logistics, Human Resource and Administration
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience and skills in external engagement with Donors, Government and Local Authorities
- Experience in facilitating the capacity building efforts of diverse colleagues, including local partner agencies
- Strong USAID funding experience in addition to the EU funding
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods.
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal; local language knowledge is an additional advantage
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Proven presentation, training, facilitation and Strategic planning skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
***This vacancy is open to both nationals of South Sudan and international applicants***
How to apply
Please apply through this link: https://1536510818.webcruiter.no/Main2/Recruit/Public/4237572387?language=EN&link_source_id=0 More details can be found on the vacancy announcement in NRC homepage.