Air Operations Assistant (2)
UNV is the volunteer-sending arm of the UN System Agencies, Programmes and Funds, since 1970. Over 30,000 UNVolunteers, from different professional and specialist background, have served under the principles of the UN Chart, for peace and development in over 140 countries. The UNVs come from over 150 countries around the world to work in UN led programmes and projects supporting development needs, humanitarian assistance and electoral processes. Working in association with local and international NGOs and CBOs, the UN Volunteers support capacity building processes working at community level, with especial emphasis in volunteer-led or volunteer-supported development action. UNV is also the focal point of the UN System for the International Year of Volunteer (IYV-2001) and more recently was nominated by the UN General Assembly to lead the UNITeS (United Nations Information Technology Services), a Secretary General’s initiative for bridging the “digital divide”. UNV is headquartered in Bonn – Germany.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Chief Airfields Support Unit, Wau , the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Plan and resurvey the landing sites every four months while ensuring that airfields data bank is updated daily. Also ensure daily that the Chief-AATU (C-AATU) is updated accordingly;
- In coordination with other stake holders, Plan and carry out survey of other landing sites as may be required by respective users of such landing sites;
- Be vigilant and make a close follow up with Air Operations planning cell and Flight following unit to get latest information or survey reports submitted by flight crews and process such reports/information accordingly;
- Timely response to queries from stations in the States/Regions, other UNMISS Sections or other Organizations, regarding issues related to UNMISS landing Sites;
- Ensure that NOTAMS are collected from SSCAA and timely disseminated while the C-AATU remains updated accordingly;
- Assist the C-AATU in coordinating with Engineering Section and CITS Personnel, for the installation and operability of all Radio Navigational Aids and other essential electronic and engineering equipment where applicable while keeping the C-AATU timely updated accordingly;
- In consultation with the Unit Training Officer and C-AATU Carry out actual Trainings of UNMISS and non – UNMISS personnel requiring entry into the airside for the purpose of performing their duties;
- In consultation with the C-AATU and coordination with the Aviation Section Training Officer, prepare materials and participate in the Training for Air Liaison Officers;
- Coordinate with the supplies unit and collect all supplies, equipment and protective gears that have been ordered by AATU;
- In consultation with OICs of other out stations/ landing sites, distribute the required AATU equipment and protective gears and ensure the items are received in good order;
- Attend to queries from stations in the regions regarding provision of AATU equipment and protective gears for Aviation personnel working in those areas;
- In the absence of other colleagues, ensure that all new arrivals to the Aviation Section and Aircraft flight crew are briefed accordingly. Also, attend Aviation briefings;
- In the absence of other colleagues, perform all the duties that normally go under their responsibilities;
- Keep the Chief Airfields/Air Terminals Unit updated of all essential information related to the Unit or Aviation section;
- Monitor of the Crew visas, IDs, Driving Permits, Airport Passes, Vehicle access passes requests are processed on time; the crew qualification documents, Licenses, medical certificates and all related paperwork are saved on the shared drive and Lotus database;
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Chief Airfields/Air Terminal Unit and or other relevant senior AATU officials.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Secondary education Education – Additional Comments:
Should have proven training in the Aviation Industry, Ramp Operations, Dispatch , Flight Operations.
Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
At least 3 Years of experience in the Aviation industry, (Flight Operations/Dispatch certificate, Air traffic Control certificate are desirable).
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Air transport, air traffic control and safety Area of expertise details:
Computer skills: Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc.)
Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.