Agricultural Production Lead
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking an experienced Agricultural Production Lead to provide technical program design and leadership for an anticipated USAID-funded Agriculture Resiliency Activity in South Sudan.
The Agricultural Production Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for interventions to improve smallholder farmer productivity. S/he will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in promoting adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies that result in higher productivity, sustained natural resources, resilient income and job growth, and improved food security. S/he will work closely with the Markets Lead to identify and manage partnerships that yield results in line with objectives.
The project will build off USAID’s past investments in the agricultural sector, increasing the amount, variety, and quality of nutritious food bought and sold at local markets. It also aims to create more jobs on farms and at markets and promote healthy eating and feeding behaviors for families. The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of activities to promote the adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies using a market systems development approach;
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing market systems strategies for increasing agricultural production;
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for identifying and mitigating shocks and stresses, evaluating market opportunities, identifying partners, and designing project partnerships;
- Build cohesive farmer groups to improve access to knowledge, inputs, finance and markets.
- Identify and manage partnerships that contribute both sustainable and inclusive benefits to smallholder farmers and to anticipated project results;
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Support an efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system;
- Provide thought leadership for government of South Sudan counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing strategies to improve productivity;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets;
- Collaborate with communications team to visualize and disseminate important findings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Degree in agricultural science or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing productivity enhancing activities for international development projects, preferably with USG funded projects in South Sudan;
- Experience managing technical teams for market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management;
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access.
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Knowledge the South Sudan agriculture sector;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English, required.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter via the Winrock careers page at: https://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/job-openings/?gh_jid=4999446002&…