UNV is the volunteer-sending arm of the UN System Agencies, Programmes and Funds, since 1970. Over 30,000 UNVolunteers, from different professional and specialist background, have served under the principles of the UN Chart, for peace and development in over 140 countries. The UNVs come from over 150 countries around the world to work in UN led programmes and projects supporting development needs, humanitarian assistance and electoral processes. Working in association with local and international NGOs and CBOs, the UN Volunteers support capacity building processes working at community level, with especial emphasis in volunteer-led or volunteer-supported development action. UNV is also the focal point of the UN System for the International Year of Volunteer (IYV-2001) and more recently was nominated by the UN General Assembly to lead the UNITeS (United Nations Information Technology Services), a Secretary General’s initiative for bridging the “digital divide”. UNV is headquartered in Bonn – Germany.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Field Administrative Officer, Reporting directly the day-to-day management of a UN base and provision of support to Mission Support Department (MSD) clients, The UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Work closely with clients, identification and implementation of improvements to services and maintenance at the Field Office, under the leadership of the Field Administrative Officer;
- Support the execution of all administration activities such as daily attendances in the Field Office and monitoring attendance for both International Volounteers and National individual contractors;
- Generate and reviewing monthly reports for Field Administrative Officer;
- Provide advise to staff members on Multiple Entry Visas to UNMISS;
- Draft memorandums and other correspondences for the Field Administrative Officer;
- Follow up on and taking minutes/note for various meetings held by the Field Administrative Officer and Unit heads;
- Monitor the usage of petty cash;
- Request for repleshiment when required and follow up with Finance Juba on issuance;
- Send Petty Cash monthly report to Finance Section Juba HQ;
- Assist in the keeping of accurate accounts concerning cash transactions;
- Sell coupons for use on the UN shuttle bus to National staff, IC’s, Contractors and Contracted personnel;
- Coordinate activities of Welfare in Torit field office include financial management and reporting;
- Coordinate welfare cafeteria, staff food orders and collect payments to be made to ESKO;
- Manage the accommodation list prepared according the seniority of the arrival;
- Prepare the interview schedule; ensuring that recruitments are carried out in accordance with the overall recruitment plan, incorporate gender perspectives; participate in interview panels and complete interview reports for local recruitment;
- Initiate contact with job applicants and provide guidance and feedback to internal and external candidates on matters related to the recruitment process and employment with UNMISS;
- Prepare progress and statistical analysis reports on recruitment activities and track progress to ensure that staffing metrics are met;
- Provide guidance to staff with respect to administrative and Logistical procedures, processes and practices;
- Prepare training activities for subordinates to improve their technical awareness and competencies;
- Competence in Umoja and creating shopping cart for national individual contractors (IC’s);
- Raise service entry sheets (SES) for all national invidiual contractors for all Mission Support Department (MSD) in the field office sections such as Transport, Supply Chain and Engineering;
- Process monthly Payroll Drop off for all International and National staff in the Field Office;
- Coordinate with Human Resources Section at HQ Juba concerining Purchase Orders for National Individual Contractors (IC’s);
- Facilitate with reporting for the Field Administrative Officer and HQ Finance Officer, tracking and implementing financial transactions such as payment of salaries, vendors, individual contractors, etc;
- Provide support, as focal point, for asset verification activity of the Property Control and Inventory Unit (PCIU).
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education – Additional Comments:
Administration & Human Resources
Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, management, human resources or related fields;
- Experience in a multi-national organisational environment is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Administration and administrative assistance Area of expertise details:
- Prior experience in administrative and logistics related activities in peacekeeping or other field operations is desirable;
- Broad knowledge and several years’ experience in administration and logistics;
- Solid knowledge of office procedures;
- Strong organization skills with a problem-solving attitude;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc.);
- Knowledge of UN IT applications and software desirable;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Proven work experience as an Administrative Officer, Administrator or similar role;
- Has a sound security awareness.
Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.