The World Bank, a member of the World Bank Group, is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. Our mission is to fight poverty with passion and professionalism for lasting results and to help people help themselves and their environment by providing resources, sharing knowledge, building capacity and forging partnerships in the public and private sectors.
We are not a bank in the common sense; we are made up of two unique development institutions owned by 188 member countries: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA).
Each institution plays a different but collaborative role in advancing the vision of inclusive and sustainable globalization. The IBRD aims to reduce poverty in middle-income and creditworthy poorer countries, while IDA focuses on the world’s poorest countries.
Their work is complemented by that of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
Together, we provide low-interest loans, interest-free credits and grants to developing countries for a wide array of purposes that include investments in education, health, public administration, infrastructure, financial and private sector development, agriculture and environmental and natural resource management.
Job #: req10297
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Juba,South Sudan
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 12/15/2020 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The World Bank Country Office in Sudan is seeking a highly organized and energized professional, capable of operating effectively and discreetly in a very demanding, fast-paced and culturally diverse environment, to work as a Team Assistant based in Khartoum Sudan.
The selected candidate will supervise the Bank’s administrative functions at the S. Sudan duty location. The position entails interacting with the Resource Management (RM), Corporate Real Estate (GCSCR), Corporate Security (GCSCS), Health Services Dept HSD, IT, Administration and Client Support (ACS), Human Resources (HR) and management teams, and a wide spectrum of sector staff and the external business community. S/he will interact frequently with government or other similar organizations and provide mentoring and guidance to junior staff.
Roles & Responsibility
The Admin Assistant’s duties and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise the outsourced administrative services for the office, including regular and periodical needs for housekeeping services and support the transition i.e. travel agency, Staff Laundry services, cafeteria and kitchenettes services, airlines corporate agreements, newspapers supply, drinking water supply, and office coffee/tea service.
- Ensure efficient, smooth and consistent internal administration environment in the office by assisting and advising staff regarding the office’s administrative policies/procedures i.e. leave administration, travel etc.
- Ensure the internal comfort of staff and visitors at the workplace premises.
- Supervision of the country office mailroom, mail courier services and office stationery supplies.
- Propose and implement automation of mailroom services and pouch shipments workflow for the S. Sudan office and integrate the eService system with the Country Office Pouch Service System and supply of stationery available in eServices.
- Be the focal point person in dealing with the UN Office in Juba on administrative matters involving Bank staff and be the internal champion to ensure compliance with UN requirements as needed.
- Participate in the Regional Office Management Team by providing advice and guidance on all administrative-related matters in the Office.
- Implement the telephone and telecommunications policy.
- Build and maintain good working relationships among internal and external clients of the Bank and administration unit.
- Implement the Bank and the region’s administrative policies such as travel policy; manage programs so as to achieve policy compliance, as well as balance of cost efficiency and business needs being met
- Liaison between the Legal Department and Local Legal Counsel on different lawsuits, especially those involving Privileges and Immunities the Bank has in South Sudan.
- Responsible for archived records management and document storage as per WBG policies and procedures, including disposal/incineration.
- Provide administrative advice and other support to other World Bank Offices in the sub-region as needed from time to time.
Manage the Administrative Team
- Supervision of country office drivers’ pool and advise on protocol and administrative matters.
- Supervise a diverse complement of regular, contract, and short-term staff in the administrative functional area, including annual performance reviews.
- Assign and review work assignments of the Administrative staff.
- Institute quality control measures.
- Train and empower staff in administration to provide effective and efficient support as a team.
- Directly supervise the Receptionist, Messenger Service and Switch Board service.
- Ensure the efficient and effective provision of mail delivery, diplomatic pouch, and messenger services.
- Ensure effective back-up arrangements and timely submissions of tasks/outputs.
- Encourage and promote teamwork within the administrative group.
Management of Administrative Procurement contracts and processes
- Manage the activities of the Admin Procurement Committee (APRC) for the South Sudan duty location.
- Manage APRC work and provide inputs to the Administrative Procurement Plan and lead the RFP/IFB processes;
- Strengthen the relation between GCS, and RM subgroups, work together to improve controls over procurement and vendor registration;
- Responsible for quality control of services delivered by internal and external administration services providers.
- Participate in the Facilities Consultancy Group regarding the fit-out of the new office block and residential units
- Collaborating closely with Facilities Manager on kitchen and laundry equipment maintenance and repairs,
- Liaise with the UN on petrol/ diesel supply for the WB generator sets and vehicles
- Support GCS to implement the relocation of staff to the new WB residential apartments and office block
- Participate in office aesthetics and greenery efforts in liaison with the Facilities Manager.
- Manage Office transportation policy and use of Bank-owned vehicles.
- Manage implementation of contracted transport services, and address issues as they arise.
- Implement more outsourced transportation service options to fill the gap between office owned transportation resources and the client needs.
- Ensure the office obtains the most competitive car insurance bids and coverage with cost-effective premiums.
- Work with the Security Officer in the implementation of Bank Road Safety Transportation Policy.
Events Management and Visiting Missions
- Lead the team to provide administrative support for major events/activities including VIP visit(s) to S. Sudan, in liaison with other stakeholders and deliver such a top priority task to ensure the success of the event(s).Provide timely and accurate information to and about visiting missions, including updating and routinely sharing the Visiting Mission Guidelines and the mission welcome package.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of relevant experience in a large International or Service or Private Sector Organization;
- Previous experience with a multilateral/bilateral organization is an advantage
- Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise diverse resources and staff; with high sensitivity to cost-effectiveness, quality and timeliness of delivery.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the World Bank, its policies and procedures; and of development issues in general.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to persuade others and commit them to the desired course of action.
- Ability to identify gaps and not only conceptualize a better state but also consult and convene others to work towards the selected course of action.
- Ability to manage various tasks, deal with rapidly shifting priorities, provide support to staff and deliver against competing timelines.
- Capacity to work simultaneously, effectively and efficiently on a variety of diverse issues and tasks, independently adjusting priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment, as a team member as well as a team leader.
- Strong client focus including good interpersonal, diplomatic and team-building skills required for building and maintaining collaborative relationships.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and explain policy, process and procedural guidelines effectively, in writing and orally, including situations requiring negotiation with vendors/contractors.
- Ability to provide guidance and mentor junior staff, as needed; and willingness to learn new skills and seek help from others.
- Capacity to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues at all levels.
- Committed team player with demonstrated ability to effectively work in a collaborative fashion across organizational boundaries.
- Understanding of information systems and the ability to identify and apply technology to enhance efficiency.
The WBG Core Competencies: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O